According to records at the United States Mint, the design of the Indian Head cent became official on January 1, 1859, and was first released into circulation early that year. When the coin was first produced, Longacre’s initials did not appear on the coin, but beginning in 1864, a small “L” was added.
How much is a 1859 Indian Head penny worth?
Average Circulated and Uncirculated Values and Prices
|Date & Mint||Circ. Buy||Unc. Sell|
What is the rarest Indian Head penny?
1888 Indian Head Penny: Last 8 Over 7 Variety
This is the rarest and one of the most valuable Indian Head penny varieties found so far.
What is the most expensive penny in the world?
1. 1943-D type Lincoln Bronze Penny – $1.7 million. The most expensive penny that has ever been sold at auction is a 1943-D Lincoln penny that had been struck on a bronze planchet. The penny was in uncirculated condition.
Are wheat pennies worth anything?
Most wheat cents (wheat pennies were minted between 1909 and 1956) are worth about 4 to 5 cents. Those in better condition can have double-digit value. Special examples (especially those in near perfect condition) can be worth much more. … And pennies dated from 1879 to 1909 are worth at least $1.
Should I clean my Indian head penny?
While cleaning an Indian Head Penny is not advised, especially for old coins or those that have been inherited, there is a way to clean the penny using mild dishwashing detergent. Wash hand with soap to remove oils and dirt from your fingers. … Place the penny in the soapy water and gently rub on both sides of the coin.
What’s the rarest wheat penny?
7 Rare Wheat Pennies Worth Collecting & What They’re Worth
- 1909-S V.D.B. Wheat Penny. …
- 1909-S Wheat Penny. …
- 1914-D Wheat Penny. …
- 1922 “Plain” Wheat Penny. …
- 1931 S Wheat Penny. …
- 1943 Bronze Wheat Penny. …
- 1955 Doubled Die Obverse Wheat Penny. …
- More Info About Rare Wheat Pennies.
What pennies have errors?
RARE PENNY ERROR LIST
- 1955 doubled die penny — worth $1,000+
- 1969-S doubled die penny — $40,000+
- 1972 doubled die penny — $250+
- 1983 doubled die penny — $250+
- 1984 doubled die penny — $150+
- 1995 doubled die penny — $50+
How much is a 1943 D steel penny worth?
CoinTrackers.com has estimated the 1943 D Steel Wheat Penny value at an average of 45 cents, one in certified mint state (MS+) could be worth $12.
What pennies are worth saving?
Keeping Old Pennies
- You should keep all pre-1982 pennies.
- If you can distinguish between 1982 brass and zinc pennies, keep the brass ones.
- All wheat pennies are worth keeping.
- Keep all pennies (even recent ones) that appear to have something “off” about them — they may be error or die variety coins.
How much is a 1943 penny worth today?
Value of a 1943 Steel Penny
They are worth about 10 to 13 cents each in circulated condition, and as much as 50 cents or more if uncirculated.
What is a 1907 Indian head wheat penny worth?
CoinTrackers.com has estimated the 1907 Indian Head Penny value at an average of $3.00, one in certified mint state (MS+) could be worth $167.
Is a 1900 Indian head penny worth anything?
CoinTrackers.com has estimated the 1900 Indian Head Penny value at an average of $2.50, one in certified mint state (MS+) could be worth $60.
What penny is worth millions?
The 1943 copper-alloy cent is one of the most enigmatic coins in American numismatics — and reportedly the most valuable Lincoln penny of all.